Rwanda is located in the Greta Lakes region; central and eastern Africa and shares borders with Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Rwanda is landlocked with a surface area of 26 340 square kilometers and an estimated population of about 11 million people.
Rwanda is a member of the COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa), and the East African Community (EAC). Its economic profile is summarized below: The economy is diversified between the agriculture and services actor, though agriculture remains the mainstay of the economy in terms of livelihoods support. Agriculture contributes to approximately 35% GDP with tea and coffee being the main agriculture exports; contributing to more than 50% of the total exports. The services sector accounts to approximately 45% of GDP, with tourism being the leading services sector and export revenue earner. The mining sector is rapidly gaining significance, though contributing to 2% GDP, is becoming one of the leading earners in terms of export revenue.
The Private sector is represented by the Rwanda Private Sector Federation- RPSF. This is a professional organization, dedicated to promote and represent the interests of the Rwandan business community. It is an umbrella organization that groups 9 professional chambers. It was established in December 1999, replacing the former Rwanda Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The Private Sector Federation (PSF) has registered major successes since its creation in 1999. Beyond a strong brand and membership base, PSF pioneered Business Development Services (BDS), registered wins in advocacy and played a strong national and regional role.
- To represent the interests of the private sector Dialogue with Government on matters related to the improvement of business through the economic partnership forum
- Business promotion and development.
- Promote Entrepreneurship and Business Growth
- Build Private Sector Capacity
- Effective private sector advocacy
- Support active involvement in Regional and International Trade
- Develop Quality Member Services and enhance Communication
Private Sector Participation
- Rwanda Private Sector Federation www.psf.org.rw
- Rwanda Manufacturers Association
- Rwanda Association of Insurers
- Rwanda Bankers Associationwww.rba.rw
- Rwanda Association of Clearing Agencies
- Rwanda Association of Transporters
- Rwanda Association of Women Entrepreneurs
- Rwanda Association of Exporters
- Rwanda Association of Wholesalers and Retailers
- Rwanda Association of Traders and Agricultural Producers
- Rwanda Investment and Export Promotion Agency
- Rwanda Development Board www.rdb.rw