Ethiopia, with a population of approximately 90million people, is the second most populous country in Sub-Saharan Africa, one of the world’s oldest continuous civilizations. Ethiopia is located in eastern Africa in the southern Red Sea region. It borders Sudan on the west, Eritrea on the north, Djibouti and Somalia on the east, and Kenya on the south. Ethiopia is one of the fastest growing economies in Africa, having achieved substantial growth in its economy in the past few years.
Ethiopia is a member of the COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa) and Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD). Its economic profile is summarized below: Agriculture remains the mainstay of the economy in terms of export earnings and livelihoods. It accounts for approximately 42% of GDP, whilst industry is at 12% and services at 45%. Coffee is the single largest export produce, contributing to about 10% of the GDP. The growth in the service sector has been due to increased investment in infrastructure, hotels, restaurants and the retail industries. Ethiopian Airways is also one of the largest air carriers in Africa.
The private sector is represented by the Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce. The Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Associations (ECCSA) is an apex organization of Chambers and Sectoral Associations in Ethiopia. It has eighteen members including nine Regional Chambers of Commerce and Sectoral Associations, two City Chambers of Commerce and Sectoral Associations, one National Chamber of Sectoral Associations and six Sectoral Associations organized at national level. The concept of Chamber of Commerce was introduced to Ethiopia for the first time in 1943. The need for its establishment basically emanated from the economic crisis occurred during that time. The establishment of the Chamber of Commerce was seen as a solution to address the distribution of scarce commodities such as cotton, yarn, and woolen products. Members of the Chamber of Commerce were allowed to distribute those scarce commodities to stabilize the market.
ECCSA is established to fulfill the following objectives as per proclamation no 341/2003:
- Providing different services to the business community
- Safeguarding the overall rights and benefits of its members
- Promoting and publicize products and services of the country
- Serving as a bridge between the business community and the Government
Private Sector Participation
- Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce & Sectoral Associations http://www.ethiopianchamber.com/
- Addis Ababa Chamber of Commerce www.addischamber.com
- Ethiopian Women Exporters Association www.ethwea.org
- Ethiopian Manufacturers Industries Associationwww.ebwa.info
- Ethiopian Bankers Association
- Ethiopian Employers Federationwww.eef-ethiopia.org
- Ethiopian Textile And Garment Manufacturers Association
- Federation of Micro and Small Enterprises Development Agency
- Ethiopian Leather Industries Association www.elia-aalf.com