Policy & Advocacy COMESA Trade Statistics
COMESA Trade Statistics
COMESA collates, publishes and disseminates a number of key trade statistics measuring trade and economic development in the region. These include;
- Merchandise trade statistics. This measures trade in goods intra COMESA trade, and also with global partners.
- Statistics on International Trade in Services. Recently, COMESA has also started collecting Trade in services statistics covering intra COMESA Trade and also trade with global partners.
- Infrastructure statistics. COMESA Infrastructural Statistics Bulletin is a compendium of infrastructure data (roads, railways, air, telecommunication, energy) in the COMESA Member states.
- Foreign direct investment statistics. COMESA Assessment of the state of Statistics on foreign direct investments (FDI) and activities of transnational corporations (TNCs) published as an Investment Bulletin.
- Annual Bulletin – COMESA International Trade Statistics Bulletin. This is a collation of merchandise trade and trade in services statistics in the COMESA region; covering intra and external trade.
- COMSTAT- an online trade statistics portal.
A work plan covering activities relating to the following has been developed, and will be implemented up to 2015. Key activities include the following studies;
COMSTAT is an on-line interactive database designed to serve as a central repository of all statistical data at the Secretariat and hence disseminates statistics of various domains that are critical for monitoring the performance of COMESA’s regional integration program. The data base which was launched in 2006, initially with only international merchandise trade statistics, has over the past years been enhanced and augmented with other statistical indicators and related statistical information pertaining to member states in the COMESA region.