Policy & Advocacy CBC Business advocacy Workgroups
- CBC Business advocacy Workgroups
- Roadmap towards regional integration
- Trade Policy Research
- Trade Information Systems
- Investment Promotion
- Tripartite FTA
- Services in COMESA-An Industry Perspective
Tourism Work Group
Tourism's potential to contribute to economic growth, job creation and foreign exchange earnings is enormous. It is the world’s largest and fastest-growing service industry. In COMESA island countries (Seychelles, Madagascar, Mauritius, Comoros) contributes to between 14% -25% GDP and more than half of their export earnings. In mixed economies like Kenya, Egypt also contributes to approximately 12% GDP and about 20% of export revenue.
In August 2012, CBC hosted the 1st COMESA Sustainable Tourism Development Forum where the COMESA Sustainable Tourism Framework was adopted, and the tourism work group established. The COMESA sustainable Tourism Development Framework. The following were the broad recommendations of the Forum and are part of the COMESA Sustainable Tourism Development Framework.
- Promoting a conducive regulatory and policy environment for the Tourism industry; includes promoting growth of sector through tax policy, visa regime and business.
- Relaxation of Visa Requirements; A flexible and non-burdensome immigration policy is at the core of promoting regional tourism in the COMESA region.
- Coalition in the Tourism Industry: Regional Cooperation amongst Players in the Tourism Sector. This includes the creation of Trans-boundary Tourism Circuits to improve product attractiveness.
- Tourism and Climate Change: Conserving Biodiversity for Tourism Development; Promoting policies, resources and awareness for resource management, and conservation.
- Tourism and Infrastructure Development: Transport, Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Air Transport and Financial Services are all complementary to tourism development.
The Work plan of the Tourism Technical Workgroup; is derived from its Terms of References;
- Lobby and advocate for the interest of the private sector in the policy making process at COMESA and at the national level and regional level;
- Ensure a harmonised and informed position is presented to the CBC Board for advocacy with all interests of the sectors represented;
- Ensure Increased Policy Dialogue between Public and Private Sector at the regional level;.
- Ensure that the positions of Work Group are presented to the policy organs meetings for consideration;
- Ensure Increased participation of the private sector membership in policy dialogue;
CBC provides demand driven services and proactive services in terms of advocacy, business linkages and membership development for Tourism Work group. We are working towards concretization of the activities of the tourism work group as part of the building the Coalition of Services Industries in COMESA.