Policy & Advocacy CBC Business advocacy Workgroups
- CBC Business advocacy Workgroups
- Roadmap towards regional integration
- Trade Policy Research
- Trade Information Systems
- Investment Promotion
- Tripartite FTA
- Services in COMESA-An Industry Perspective
Manufacturers Work Group
The 1st COMESA Regional Manufacturers Dialogue was held in July 2013, in Kigali, Rwanda with participation of more than 120 companies, associations, SME manufacturers from the COMESA region. At the meeting; the Technical Work Group for Manufacturers was formed. The Work group is chaired by the Rwanda Association of Manufacturers, Mr. Robert Bayigamba. It is composed of all the Manufacturers Associations in the COMESA Region; derived from the nation Association of Manufacturers.
The Regional Dialogue discussed key constraints that are being faced by manufacturing businesses in the region ranging from infrastructure, trade facilitation, market access, and access to energy, standards, finance and others. The key recommendations included; engaging Multi-National Companies in an approach to upgrade the standards of SMEs and enable them to effectively participate within regional supply and value chains in key sectors. This became the key theme for the 9th COMESA Business Partnerships Forum & Linkages Fair in Kinshasa, DRC and CBC’s strategic approach to developing partnerships and programmes with corporates to invest their CSI’s in various ways to strengthen the capacity of SME, who in turn are able to feed into their value chain.
The Work plan of the Technical Workgroup; is derived from its Terms of References;
- Lobby and advocate for the interest of the private sector in the policy making process at COMESA and at the national level and regional level;
- Ensure a harmonised and informed position is presented to the CBC Board for advocacy with all interests of the sectors represented;
- Ensure Increased Policy Dialogue between Public and Private Sector at the regional level;
- Financial Services;
- Ensure that the positions of Work Group are presented to the policy organs meetings for consideration;
- Ensure Increased participation of the private sector membership in policy dialogue.
CBC provides demand driven services and proactive services in terms of advocacy, business linkages and membership development for Manufcaturers Work group. Following up, the activities of the work group include an Upcoming Regional Public Private Dialogue focusing on standards; the Made In COMESA label and curbing Illicit Trade in the region.