COMESA Business Council
COMESA Business Council is a Business Member Organization and recognized private sector institution of the Common Market of Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA). It is the voice of the Private Sector in the region. It was established in 2005; with the objective of providing a platform for three core services namely- business support services and linkages, policy advocacy and membership development; with an objective of addressing the pertinent constraints to business and competitiveness in the region, influencing the policy formulation agenda on behalf of the private sector and increasing private sector participation in the regional integration agenda.
The establishment of COMESA Business Council (CBC) is mandated by the Treaty of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), Article 18-Chapter 23 and 24, as a consultative committee for the business community at the policy organs level. The Council’s Objectives are focused on private sector development, through apex and sectoral business associations’ facilitation of private sector participation in regional trade related policy dialogue.
CBC is constitutionally managed by a Board of Directors from 9 of the national apex business associations from the COMESA Member States. Its membership is multi-sectoral based, with a focus on national private sector apex bodies (Chambers of Commerce), regional and national sectoral Associations and companies that have a regional presence.
- Key drivers of the regional integration agenda through the establishment of a competitive business environment;
- Smart and strategy advocacy for business;
- Organizational development for Change and growth in Private Sector;
- Membership development and services;
- World Class Business linkages and services
OUR VISION- PRIVATE SECTOR. INTEGRATE. INNOVATE. COMPETE. DEVELOP
- Private Sector; CBC is an institution that is positioned as the private sector arm of COMESA- a sole representative of business interests to all policy organs at the regional level. The institution speaks on behalf of private sector to the highest levels of decision making in the region.
- Integrate; CBC plays the critical role of steering the key drivers of regional integration into the direction of a successful market driven economy that supports growth, development and regional wealth.
- Innovate; CBC hosts a coordinating platform for the sensitization of private sector in business development. We endeavor to put in place systems and mechanisms that support private sector development to create overall sustenance and acumen in competitive global arena.
- Compete; CBC is in the business of creating a more competitive business environment in the COMESA region. The institution is driven to provide more inclusive participation of industry in the economic integration agenda and boost intra-trade through regional and global market expansion.
- Develop; CBC is situated economically independent environment and a stronger, more influential private sector. The services provided are for the enhancement of export competitiveness in the region, developing Trade Capacity in the SME sector and improving the regional private sector.
To promote a unified position of engagement for the COMESA private sector- as a driving force in the creation of a market driven economy, effective regional integration , competitiveness, trade and investment.CBC MISSION
OUR STRATEGIC AREAS
- ADVOCACY for private sector advocate for interests of private sector and engage with Heads of States and COMESA policy organs as the only recognized regional representative private sector apex body that is the ambassador of the private sector to the highest office in the region.
- BUSINESS SERVICES To enhance member competitiveness through the provision of demand driven, value added fee-based services.
- MEMBERSHIP DEVELOPMENT To ensure that CBC is the most preferred regional apex business association that encompasses the entire spectrum of the Business Community in COMESA.
- FUNCTIONAL ORGANIZATION WITH SOUND STRUCTURES To ensure that all CBC Structures (Secretariat and Committees) are established, effective, focused and deliver services to the member’s satisfaction.